Saturday, July 28, 2012

My Sweet Baby's Breath

While decluttering and cleaning my room, I found this poem.  It was written about both of my boys in 1998.  Tim was around three and Thomas was almost a year old.  I have to admit it turned out pretty good and I don't mean that in an arrogant sense. 


Sometimes when I find things I've written from a long time ago,  I think.." Wow, did I actually write that?" I do remember writing it, but sometimes it doesn't feel like I did.  That's the cool thing about God-inspired writing -- i usually can't just sit down and write whenever i want to.  That is why i can say it's good - because He gave me the words...thank you Jesus.


My sweet baby's breath
so soft, so still and quiet on my neck.
His cradled form, nestled warmly,
so perfectly in my arms.
How pure, how sublime
this package of infant mortality
entrusted to my care for a time.
How vulnerable, how chaste
this slumbering bundle of peace
this awesome wonder before me.

I sit back in quiet reflection
from the beginning of his journey of
growth inside of me.
to the moment of his fearless entrance
to the waiting, watching world.
His reliance on me to sustain him
with my life-giving substance
to his emerging independence
those first exploring steps, 
facing the imminent conflict
between his need to be free
and my need to protect and nurture.
Finding the wisdom to known when to let go
as he gets up again and again
only to begin the process once more.
The falling, the tears, the comfort, the fears,
the loving arms that tenderly embrace him.
the slumber, the rest, and finally
his sweet breath, so soft, so still on my neck.

by Patti Stephen    9-27-98


No comments:

Post a Comment